Monday, October 3, 2016

Conference was Amazing!

Well all I have to say about this week is that it was amazing. As far as teaching and all that, this week was okay, Sister Stella is doing really good and she should be baptized next week, she has really been learning a lot and she really understands the Gospel very well, she is loving the Book of Mormon, she is just really excited about the Gospel and we are all excited about her baptism!!

The main event for us was also most likely the main event for many of you, Conference. Well I will have to say that this Conference was one of the best that I have ever been a part of and been able to watch. We were blessed to have the opportunity to watch Conference at our District center where there is a satellite and it was very nice!  Well since I don’t have all day to talk about conference, I will just tell you that my favorite talk was the same as many of you. Elder Russell M. Nelson's talk on Joy was probably one best talks that I have heard.
That talk was absolutely amazing!!!! There were two really big things that he said that stuck out to me, one was relating to missionary work and how missionaries’ attitude should be. He said ''our missionaries aren’t out just trying to increase the number of members in the Church, they go out to bring the Joy that the Gospel brings to families.'' Ya know, that really had a big impact on me cause really a lot of missionaries here in our mission are going for the first one, they are just trying to baptize people, that is their only goal, but that is something that surely needs to change and the true purpose of missionary work is to go out and declare THE GLAD TIDINGS OF GREAT JOY among the Children of our Heavenly Father. I love being able to tell people that they have a Father in Heaven who REALLY DOES care about them and that they can see their family members again one day if they keep the commandments and follow the Lord Jesus Christ. There really is joy that comes in sharing the Gospel. The other part of his talk that stood out to me, I wanted to emphasize it to all of you too, is that we should let our suffering be swallowed up in the Joy of Christ!!!!! He said that truly, the Saints can be happy in EVERY CONDITION. I know that is very true. We have the restored gospel and the great plan of salvation and we know to what source we can look for a remission of our sins.


Well I also loved the talk of Elder LeGrand R Curtis Jr. who talked about the people in Ghana and their experiences with the Book of Mormon. Well the first guy he mentioned, Nicolas Ofusu Hene, he is a guy that I have heard a lot about and a lot of the missionaries here in Ghana Kumasi Mission have served in the District where he is the President, Tamale, it is in the northern region of Ghana and the guy is seriously an awesome guy. They also mentioned that he is a Police Commander, well lets just say that Ghana Police is corrupt bad, and they see missionaries sometimes as people who have a lot of money and so they will arrest missionaries or give them trouble to try and get bribes (bribes is like the main pay of police here...) but its nice cause if that ever happens, the couple missionaries or whoever is there can call Ofusu Hene and he makes one phone call and you are good to go, cause all the police people know him and he can have an impact on people losing their jobs so they will let you go ha. I really loved that talk cause it really helps us to realize that the Book of Mormon really brings conversion in our Life. and there is no other book or text or anything like that that can bring greater conversion into our life.

Well I do know that this Church is the only true church on the face of the earth. General Conference, well I really really was able to feel the Holy Ghost testify to me that it’s true. I love the Gospel, and I love our Prophet and leader, Thomas S Monson. I know that our Heavenly Father speaks to us through Him, and the other 14 apostles, those who we sustain as Prophets, Seers, and Revelators. I know that they receive guidance for us and our individual life. The messages that were given the last two days, they were truly meant for you and for me, and if we will apply those messages and follow the Prophets, we will receive the blessing of Eternal life and eternal happiness in the life to come.

I pray that all of you will find joy in your life, and joy in your sufferings. I pray that you will read from the pages of the Book of Mormon, and find conversion in your life. The prophets tell us to do such simple things that sometimes we overlook it, but I feel that sometimes the simple things, we take them for granted and forget to do them. I know that as you follow the counsel of the leaders and mouthpieces of Heavenly Father, you will receive spiritual strength in your life.

I love you all,
Elder Porritt

This is the pile of cockroaches we gathered after 45 minutes of war with the roaches... our apartment is full of them. it looks like dirt, but all of those are tiny tiny roaches, there are hundreds, maybe thousands of them. it was a crazy night haha.

Elder Precious and I on the extermination committee.

No comments:

Post a Comment